999 Main Street, Any town, NY – 99999
A full-time position in accounting that utilizes my accounting background and analytical skills.
Assistant Controller and Office Manager August 2007 – June 2009
ABC Inc, Any town, NY
- As part of the management team I participate in strategic planning, including expense forecasting, tax planning, budgeting and cash management for the company as a whole.
- CEO. liaison with customers, vendors, lenders and auditors (suppliers, outside accountant, IRS, Property Tax Assessors). Report directly to
- Prepare all journal entries, closing transactions and depreciation calculations for monthly financial statements.
- Verify all general ledger account balances are in compliance with manual calculations.
- Provide all budget forecasts on a monthly basis. Compare actual figures to budgeted figures and verify all overages and shortages.
- Provide all support documentation for general ledger accounts and government filings that are used to complete the yearly tax return.
- File all quarterly and yearly reports that include 940, 941, Employment Security Commission Reports, State Reports, EEOC and OSHA reports. Complete W-2 forms, 1096, 1098 and 1099 forms, and also complete all Census Reports. File sales tax reports and all government requests for information.
- Supervise staff and prepare weekly payroll for 200+ employees. Hire and E-verify all employees on a daily basis to ensure they are qualified to work in the United States.
- Control make-up pay and machine down time pay in order to keep indirect costs at a minimum.
- Provide safety rules and regulations to all employees. Manage OSHA reports and documents.
- Verify attendance of all employees and monitor all medical leaves, personal leaves and company layoffs. Manage all pre-tax and post-tax payroll insurance deductions, vacation pay and bonuses.
- Manage all workers’ compensation cases and filings. Stay in contact with employee’s and insurance agent’s until the claim is closed.
- Enter all payroll information into Payroll Software for production calculation. Verify all time entries and overtime reports to ensure accuracy.
- Work with employees at Payroll Software to simplify and enhance their payroll and report software. Contact Software Vendor and let them know when their software is showing incorrect figures and reports so they can correct the software for their other customers, worldwide. Test software to ensure accuracy before offering it to their other clients.
Assess, analyze, problem solve 2005 – 2007 Summers
XYZ Corp., Any town, NY
- Processed and reviewed account reconciliations, this included all necessary primary and adjusting journal entries as well as periodic billings.
- Processed intercompany reconciliations and transactions between the US and overseas entities. This involved extensive foreign currency translations and FAS52 entries. Also responsible for the quarterly VAT returns associated with this portfolio.
- Completed Sales Compensation and Statistical monthly and quarterly, which required calculating and analyzing revenue streams, trending and explaining any fluctuations outside of the acceptable rate and reconciling the reports back to the stated revenue.
- Discerned if and when fee accruals are necessary, calculated them then input in either the Enrollment billing system or appropriate account reconciliation. This was to avoid a lapse in appropriate and due revenue recognition per GAAP.
- Analyzed Revenue Allocation System, Trust Checking, Transfer Pricing and billing reports monthly and explained any variances outside of the acceptable range.
BCD Inc., Any town, NY September 2002 – 2005
- Independently performed financial statements audits for clients of various industries including real-estate, hospitality, non-for-profit organization, labor union and benefit pension funds, with compliance of GAAP, GAAS and other aspects.
- Actively involved in risk assessment, internal control structure evaluation, and execution of specific sections such as cash, investment, AR, PP&E, revenue, expenses and etc. of the audit engagements.
- Developed recommendations for areas of improvement, wrote reports documenting findings, and followed up on recommendations to ensure implementation.
- Managed auditing procedures complying with policies, procedures and standards at all times.
- Assisted to prepare financial statements, footnotes disclosure, and consolidations based on GAAP and other policies.
Bachelor of Arts in Business Economics June 2002
Minor in Accounting
New York University
Relevant Courses – Advanced Accounting, Intermediate Accounting, Individual and Corporate Taxation, Auditing,Econometrics, and Probability and Statistics.
- Magna Cum Laude; Overall GPA 3.88 with accounting GPA 3.91.
- Dean’s Honor List: 6 out of 6 quarters.
Associate of Arts in Business Administration May 2000
Johns Hopkins University
Relevant Courses – Financial Accounting, Managerial Accounting, Accounting Information System, Macroeconomics, and Business Law
- Overall GPA 3.8 with GPA 4.0 in accounting classes.
- Certificate of Completion – Entry-Level Accounting.
- President, Dean, or Honor’s List: 4 out of 4 semesters.
Society of CPA Chapter Scholarship Recipient
- Proficient in Spanish.
- Windows XP, Windows 7, Mac OS X Snow Leopard.
- Knowledge of using journal entry and econometrics software in the market.
- Proficient in Office 2003, 2007 Excel, Word, and PowerPoint.
- Basic skills of Quicken, Eviews, Access, and Visual Basic.